Monday, August 8, 2011

So I Bought A New Lawn Mower...

As I prepared to mow my lawn last weekend, my Toro Lawn Mower would not start for the fourth time in the past 12 months.  Instead of shouldering another repair bill, I decided it was time to get a new mower.  This would be my first lawn mower shopping experience, so I thought I'd share what I learned along the way.

After recalling my 20 years of lawn mowing experience, bolstered by my father-in-law's sage advice, I decided to look for a Honda Lawn Mower.  I was open to other options but the fact that I grew up with a Honda Lawn Mower weighted my opinion heavily.  In fact my father still uses that mower and my father-in-law still uses his trusty Honda Lawn Mower - someone would have to sell me on another brand.

I started off visiting my local repair shop that also sells new models.  When I asked the repair man his suggestion he simply rolled around a Snapper with a shrug and a "Here ya' go."  I asked for details on why this was my best choice, and he said it had a Briggs & Stratton Engine but didn't or couldn't go into more detail.  I'd heard the Briggs & Stratton commercials on local talk radio (WFNZ).  Alright.  Maybe.

I then popped over to our local Ace Hardware / Garden Center.  No luck.  They were upper end and simply selling decorative items and hand tools.  Onward.

Lowe's Home Improvement was my next stop.  They carried brands I'd heard off (John Deere, Husqvarna, Troy-Built) and some I hadn't. (Lawn Boy?)  I received no assistance from employees but after kicking a few tires I felt like I was at Toys-R-Us and not a viable lawn mower distributor.  Still no Hondas?  Out.

Finally, I drove over to Home Depot.  Walking into the store I turned down a air conditioning salesman, at least I was talked to by an employee, and made my way over to the lawn mower section.  Hallelujah.  They had Honda Lawn Mowers.  Shortly, I was approached by a "knowledgeable" Home Depot staffer who read  the features off the box to me, but I had found my diamond in the denser than expected rough.  And it was on sale.  Sold!

I was surprised at the effort it took to find the brand I sought.  I generally prefer shopping with local businesses or independent garden centers because of the personal touch they offer.  Who knew that the best service I would receive would be at big old box store Home Depot?

Things I learned this past year:
  • Gas contains alcohol and preservatives than can expire and hurt your engine (one of my repair bills)
  • Use a gas "stabilizer" to extend the life of gas when not being used.
  • Empty gas tank and burn off fuel before storing lawn mower for winter.
  • Different distributors have different engines on different lawn mower bodies.  Pay attention to this.
  • Honda Lawn Mowers seem to be the best built, self propelled (I'm lazy!), variable speed mowers on the market.
  • Buying a lawn mower is a great way to spend a manly Saturday and eat a lot of popcorn (it's served everywhere).
  • Home Depot appears to be socking it to Lowe's.






No comments:

Post a Comment